Kosmo - Desktop is a general Desktop-GIS. Using extra extensions allows customizing it for specific purposes.
It is designed for the average GIS user, with special emphasis on user-friendly interface (quite similar to the most famous and wide used commercial desktop GIS).
It is open source and provides users with the most useful tools to explore, edit and analyze spatial data. All of it by observing the OpenGIS standards and applying high efforts
to maintain the data topology quality. It is the first component of a series of developments oriented to be a complete spatial data infrastructure that will be made available to the
Kosmo - 1.2.1 is distributed under a GPLv2 license (see GPL v2 license
for more details about it)
Running on the LiveDVD
- To run Kosmo 1.2.1 on the Live DVD, click on the Kosmo link on the desktop.
- In the "Wellcome to Kosmo" dialog, select the option "With a new view" under the "Create new project" group in order to create a new project
with an empty view. Press Ok to continue
- In the next dialog, select your Spatial Reference System and press Ok to continue
- Press the green plus button from the main toolbar to start adding geodata resources (files, databases tables) to the empty view
Kosmo - Desktop Client 1.2.1 is able to load the next types of geodata resources:
There are some shapefiles and images from /usr/local/share/openjump-data or /usr/local/share/qgis-data that can be loaded, as well as any WMS server configured.
- Vectorial file layers: Shapefiles, DXF, DWG, DGN, CSV (by an extension)
- Vectorial databases: PostgreSQL + PostGIS, Oracle, MySQL
- Raster layers: ECW, MrSID, Tiff, JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP
- OGC services: WMS 1.0.0/1.1.0/1.3.0
New functionalities in the new 2.0 beta download
Apart from the Kosmo - Desktop 1.2.1 version that is available in the LiveDVD, we have also build a Kosmo - Desktop 2.0 beta release that includes most of the
list of main new functionalities and improvements described next:
In order to download and install it automatically the Linux version, there is an install script available at
- New advanced printing module that uses as base the OpenOffice offimatic suite
- Topology relations on edition and post-edition mode
- Sextante bindings for Kosmo
- Raster georreferencing tool
- Generation of polygons from a line set tool
- Clean / intersect / validating tools
- Improvements for digitizing tools (geometry tracking mode, ...)
- KML export
- GML import / export
- SLD import / export
- WFS connector added
- WMS connector improved
- Field calculator improved with some new functions
We've also added a direct download link for a windows 2.0 beta version at
Kosmo 2.0 beta for Windows.
This distribution doesn't need to be installed, just unzip it and execute the \bin\Kosmo.bat file to run the program.
Both versions includes a doc directory where you can find a set of manuals about the most of functionalities that you'll find in Kosmo 2.0
(more than 350 pages in Spanish only for now, sorry in advance for the inconveniences :()